History

The Club was formed at a meeting of twelve men in the Jolly Sailor Inn, Whitburn, on 2nd December 1930. Within a month, land had been rented from the Harton Coal Company, a Professional and a Greenkeeper were appointed and a Clubhouse pavilion (used by the Club until 1979) had been purchased. By 1933 the Club had grown to 130 members and it was agreed to form a Company, limited by guarantee and we became "The Whitburn Golf Club Ltd." (Picture shows the Marsden Rattler)

The course was laid out in 1934 by J Morrison of Colt, Alison and Morrison, Golf Course Architects to produce an 18 hole par 70 course of 5635 yards. Morrison is also known to have designed Brancepeth, Wentworth and the Princes course at Sandwich and redesigned Lytham St Annes, Moortown, Royal Cinque Ports, Sunningdale and Wickham.
Lizard Lane, which divides the course is now a minor road but follows the route of an ancient track featured on mid 18th century maps of the area. Of the original design, the layouts of only the 3rd, 5th and 6th holes are virtually unchanged although our present 18th recreates the design of the 1930's 17th hole with a fairway bunker added. The 12th hole includes a water hazard constructed on the site of a clay based "dewpond" which is the survivor of two such ponds, also featured in the original design. Many alterations have been carried out to the course as additional land became available, but the course still retains some of the original features including limestone walls which have caused problems for golfers since the course opened. Fossil inclusions that can be seen in these walls give evidence of the rock's marine origins. (Picture shows Lizard Lane c1932)
Book a Tee Time
Ready to book?

Our booking system will make it easy for you.
Course Status
Currently open
08.05.2021 07:43
View Status
COURSE OPEN - AS PER REQUIREMENTS OF THE COVID-19 EXIT ROAD MAP. STAY SAFE.
Calendar
Loading the Calendar...